Networking events are great for making new contacts, but at large networking events it's hard to make an impression on the people you meet.
At a networking event this week hosted by Experian Interactive Media, Stephen Semprevivo, President, spoke briefly about networking, and encouraged everyone to use storytelling as one of their networking techniques.
Everyone swaps stories at networking events, but I'm not sure everyone uses storytelling effectively to accomplish their networking goals.
There are many ways to use storytelling in your networking, such as:
- Solidify a relationship through your common experiences
- Describe a person you will introduce them to
- Demonstrate your expertise in solving a problem the other person mentioned
Here are a few resources on storytelling techniques in business:
- Once Upon a Business…The Role of Storytelling in Leadership, Management, and Entrepreneurship
- Storytelling as a Key Leadership Tool
- Marketing Is Storytelling
- The Ten Truths of Branded Storytelling
So...what's your story?